Sunday, May 18, 2008

Never let the demands of tomorrow interfere with the pleasures and excitement of today.

Meredith Willson, The Music Man


Most of my life is pretty dull. Not unpleasant, but dull. Every weekday, I take Ben to Seminary and walk the dog, take Ben and dog home, and go to work. My job is ok, a real blessing, but not anything to write about. After work, there doesn’t seem to be time or energy for much - especially if I cook dinner. Saturdays are full of errands and chores. Sundays church and extra meetings, sometimes a blessed nap! and time with family.


But sometimes we shake things up just a little. (oh, the excitement)

This week, one day, instead of worrying about dinner or a meeting right away, I put on my painting rags and experimented in the big blue room closet. What I came up with is not exactly what was in mind, but it will do. So Saturday, I bought more paint - running into Tom’s dad and Bishop Dyck - and experimented a little bit more. Learned a few things every painter already knows. Tape off. and Work from the top down. I had big dreams of painting a large part of the room, but after doing a couple of errands - like a trip to Costco to replenish supplies - I started running low on steam and time. so I just did a sample patch. I think I may try to organize a painting party - must buy more brushes.

Next weekend, we are “planning” (using the word very loosely) a road trip. Basically, we are going to get in the car and drive toward Yosemite. I think we are open to distraction along the way.

We have no idea where we will stay. By the time we decided that if we are ever going to go, we need to just do it, naturally Yosemite and surrounding environs were pretty well booked - like for the last two months if not more. Possibly (probably) sleeping in the car. (There is a Walmart in Sonora about 2 hours from Yosemite which is open 6am-midnight. No potty breaks between midnight and 6am which is a slight problem for me, old woman that I am, but I think I can handle it. The Sonora LDS chapel is only 5 minutes away, so church would be pretty easy.)

Andrew is keen on the adventure. Joseph and Benjamin wary. Ben will go, I think, maybe. Joseph MIGHT go if I rent a minivan. I think I will, just in case. It will be more fun and more comfortable. I would like to know whether Joseph is coming or not so that I know whether or not to get a pet sitter. The whole thing makes him seem sad, going or not going. But Andrew and I have been wanting to do a road trip forever and never managed it. Andrew really wants to go to Yosemite. I want to take them there, even on a token trip, before his mission.

I would like to avoid buying food on Sunday (even though I am willing to use Walmart’s “facilities” which takes advantage of the business being open. and am willing to go to Yosemite, meaning all the rangers, etc have to work) but haven’t quite got that figured out. IF I get my act together, I suppose we could make various sandwiches before we go.

The whole thing is at least a little crazy, but I don’t think disastrously or dangerously so.

~~~

; ( Andrew and Ben just came home from a Fireside. Ben says he doesn't want to go. His big problem is having to change in the Walmart or church restroom. He thinks it would look "lame." He would rather change in a gas station rest room. Go figure. Ok, if there is a gas station restroom, have at it. He hasn't decided for certain yet. After a little bit of "clearing the air," he seems to feel better about it. Whatever makes you happiest.

If neither Joseph nor Benjamin go, I will cancel my mini van and not hire a pet sitter. If anyone stays home, I will not hire a pet sitter. I would like them to come IF they want to. I am fine with them staying home if they are happy about it. The indecision and the being unhappy about the arrangements (or lack of them, depending on the boy) is not so fun. I understand their concerns, but life is what it is, take it or leave it.

Andrew is excited. Andrew is a free spirit and a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment