Tuesday, February 10, 2015

the cold and dark before dawn

     A few years ago while my sons attended an early morning religion class, my dog Anna and I joined a group of neighbors and their dogs in the park next to the church.  We noticed that each morning just before sunrise a wave of distinctively cooler air rolled through.  When there was a sudden chill the sun was about to rise.  If we would turn to the east, we would see the sun coming and soon we would feel it's warmth.  I don't think that it is always "darkest before the dawn," but my experience is that it might be coldest. 
       I think this is often true in our lives.  When things seem to be at their worst, if we will hold on with faith, we will soon receive deliverance.  When Joseph Smith Junior made his first effort at vocal prayer, he was assailed by horrific powers of darkness that nearly destroyed him.  He continued in prayer and the darkness was dispelled by heavenly light.  God, the Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ appeared to him.  Few of us get such manifestations, but smaller  no less wondrous  miracles and relief will come.
       We live in a world with much dark coldness.  The cruelty and evil that occur all too often in too many places fill me with sorrow.  There would be despair, but I know God lives and He knows what is going on.  Somehow it is wisdom in Him to allow it.  I cannot fathom it, but I trust in His greater perspective, wisdom, and love.  As the dark rolls over us, I remember the promise of dawn.  The Son will come.  May I be ready to greet Him with joy.

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! It reminds me of a talk I heard by Michael Wilcox once. (I left the link below in case you're interested). I, too, have found this concept to be so true in my life. Often, the most beautiful spiritual experiences happen right when we are ready to give up. I'm so thankful God is so mindful of us and provides miracles when the time is right! Thank you for sharing this!

    Hugs!
    Sarah
    http://sprinklesonmyicecream.blogspot.com/

    https://deseretbook.com/p/fourth-watch-receiving-divine-help-when-your-prayers-seem-unanswered-s-michael-wilcox-2739

    ReplyDelete