Saturday, October 14, 2017

appreciation breakfast

So, Monday is Boss's Day. Right now the work atmosphere is stressed and toxic.  Has been for months.  No improvement in sight.

Not much enthusiasm or gratitude for how management is running things. 

Someone, however, (special assistant to the Section Manager, I think) has attempted to organize a section wide Boss Appreciation Breakfast Potluck. I looked at the sign-up sheet. Little over a dozen sign-ups (20 tops, but I don't think so,  out of somewhere around 50-60 employees) (Some of that is the natural indecision about what to bring perhaps, but ...) The only one from our unit who has signed up works apart in both space and duties from rest of us.  You should see the faces when Boss Appreciation Day is mentioned.  or maybe you would rather not

What to do?

Besides not feeling especially appreciative of my boss(es), part of the problem is that we are only allowed to work on our regular work on Mondays and Wednesdays.  So we have 2 days to try to do 5 full day jobs with which I had trouble keeping up full time.  I do not want to give up any of my "real" job time.  People are counting on us and we are causing hardships because we cannot keep up.  If it was one of the 3 project days (plus some Saturdays) I would not mind so much.

Members of our team have heard the supervisor say we do not have too much work, we are lazy and too laid-back.  (to the faces of two and overheard by another)

Either management does not understand the work load or it does not care.  Or both.  My supervisor says neither, of course.   

The bosses say "make time."  Would that I had THAT skill!

I do not feel appreciative.  I do not want to spend the time.  

What would Jesus do?   I don't know.  

What would you do?

1 comment:

  1. In the wee hours, I decided to make a breakfast casserole to contribute, but not to attend. Almost a burnt offering, but oh, well. When it was time for the gathering it was also time for me to work on checks which is always a high priority. My boss told me to go to the breakfast. I said I had work to do. She said go. I did the checks first, then went after the crowd had cleared. Some lovely fruit - pineapple and melons - (which seem to have hit my blood sugar harder than usual and I am feeling a bit off) and lots of donuts and the like which I avoided (thank goodness or I would feel really sick).

    ReplyDelete