Monday, January 6, 2020

step it up

email to granddaughter Acadia serving a full-time mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the Oregon Eugene mission


Happy First Monday!

It’s the first Monday of 2020 and the first day back to a regular workweek after the holidays. Not a day greeted with universal joy. When my job turned ugly and the workplace was toxic, I kept reminding myself that I was grateful to be able to pay my bills. I also reminded myself of my good and pleasant co-workers. That, sadly, no longer included management, but many of my peers were good folk. I am very grateful to be retired now. I still cannot keep up with my responsibilities and I wonder how we survived when I was gone all day. Even retired, I cannot say that I look forward to Mondays. Somewhat for myself, but more so for Joseph who is in a dead end job in a workplace that has also become unpleasant. I am trying to encourage him to consider the possibilities and work toward improving his lot.

How was your New Years? We were pretty low key. Joseph found New Year’s celebrations on YouTube from earlier places in the world. London’s fireworks were spectacular and went on for a quite a long time. I always have mixed feelings about fireworks. I feel so sorry for all the animals and birds in the area and for people who have PTSD from combat. But it was an amazing show. I didn’t care much for Dubai’s although it was fairly impressive. Shanghai had an impressive drone display instead of fireworks. Included a man running, the count down and other displays. I was able to enjoy some fireworks and still go to bed by my usual time. The neighborhood was surprisingly quiet. There were illegal fireworks on and off all day and evening, but no big noise eruption at midnight. (or I was really zonked) When I was young, people used to go outside, bang on pots and pans, and yell “Happy New Year.” I didn’t hear any of that here.

We enjoyed taking the day off, eating junk food, and playing games on New Year’s Day. I would have liked to have watched the parade on TV, but I didn’t want to bother the guys and I can’t watch TV in the kitchen where I seem to spend most of my time. I made cinnamon rolls.

Although I do not officially make New Year’s Resolutions, I am always trying to improve taking care of myself, my family, my home, and my ministering. Not that anyone can tell by looking. Very little baby steps. Constant struggle. Anyway, to try to motivate myself to move more towards a healthier me, I got myself a fitness tracker (Gramin Vivofit 3) AND joined Yes, Fit (Virtual Races). Y-our tracker communicates with their app or website or whatever and marks where you are on their race map. It is not really a race as you can go at your own pace – run, walk, swim, bike, crawl – it doesn’t matter. I am on the $4/month plan. I can do the races. If I want to register for prizes ($25-$30/race), I can win a T-shirt or something. I am not going to bother with that generally.

My first race, is Cinderella - mainly because it's one of the shorter ones. 18.5 miles. (Not going for the reward.) I look forward to Getting My Kicks on Route 66, Man's Best Friend, Lucky Leprechaun, The Pacific Highway, and more.
I anticipated that a trip to Costco or Winco would be worth LOTS of steps, but, alas! nothing. Apparently, pushing the cart keeps the device from detecting steps. Now, that's frustrating. Some of my Facebook friends suggest wearing the tracker on my ankle. I am going to try that.
We decided that for FP&S (Family prayer and Scriptures), we will mostly follow the Come, Follow Me reading. This last week we did the introduction to the BoM and Joseph Smith’s history in the Pearl of Great Price. Basically on track with Come, Follow Me and the Prophet’s counsel to read about the restoration. Is good.
Wishing all good things.
Love, Grandma Barbara






No comments:

Post a Comment