Wednesday, March 25, 2020

hooray for computers

email to my missionary granddaughter

Oh,  my bad !  I usually try to write on Sunday, and if not, Monday morning.  Here it is WEDNESDAY morning and I realize I have not written to you yet.  
I am happy to report that within the last week, I have heard from all my children and my siblings and that everyone is doing ok.  My sister Kris, has long had a huge supply of TP stored up. I admit some of us laughed when she got it years ago. Who's laughing now? 
I went to the store Monday against guidelines, but tried to keep my distance.  Miriam was low on Almond Milk, a major part of her diet. At WinCo I got a 6 pack of toilet paper, as well as her Almond MIlk, applesauce, cottage cheese, and cheeses.  That should hold for several days, probably a week, but not two weeks.
I got in line to enter Costco about 11:30. The line was just across the double doors then, but it grew! There were 10-12 people ahead of me. We watched customer after customer come out - most of them with toilet paper! and other high interest items. We saw dozens and dozens of people leave. The guy at the door said 40 had to come out before he could let more in, but it was more than that. The guy in front of me stopped counting at 65. It seemed like a long wait, but was probably 20 minutes. Eventually we did get in and walked purposefully to the tp section. It was nearly empty when I got there, but not quite. A gentleman was picking up a package, I moved to stay out of his way, but he put it in MY cart! Then he did another lady and maybe one more before he got his own. Gentlemen still walk the earth.  
      Since I got our usual Costco TP pack, I put the Wicno 6 pack in my Luggable Loo for our emergency go supplies
We have food to eat well for days, pretty well for a week or two, and we won't starve for possibly months., but it would get wierd. Except, I will probably restock again in a week - depending on Miriam's supplies. the news and all. Also I am going to try Farm Fresh To You, vegetable delivery every Wednesday. Pricey. We will see how that goes.
Really, my life doesn't change all that much as I am retired. Andrew is taking his Sac City classes and doing his tutoring job via computer. His big hurt is giving up his D&D game Wednesday nights, but a he and a friend have played on-line Joseph still has to go to work We are surprised that his program is considered an essential service. He scans documents so that processors can work from home.
I have to call my Ministering Sisters instead of visiting them.  And call them more frequently, as I have lonely, high risk sisters.
The Relief Society Presidency has met by telephone which was pretty rugged. Last night we learned to use Zoom and had our meeting by computer. That worked great! I want to learn to coordinate our family so we can Zoom together. Way cool.
Monday, Teresa set up a quiz/game on Kahoots for our two households to play together. Pretty fun, but the technology was a little sketchy. We need to work on playing board games with Zoom. That would be fun.  
I am trying to work on sorting, organizing, and de-cluttering Incredibly difficult for me. I have some kind of handicap. Slow going. No one can see that I am doing anything. I have boxes and boxes of stuff - pictures my kids drew in kindergarten, unlabeled photos, etc. Emotional stuff. LOL . Yesterday I sat looking at a list of foods in Disney World and where to find them. I don't think I brought myself to put it in recycing (yet?) I frequently look at "The Navigator" from that little cruise to nowhere that Mary Jane, your mom, Aurora, and I took. Oh, how I want to go on a crusie to Alaska  Heresy! I am even thinking about considering a another cuise line Actually, I want to go Disney Alaska in 2021 and then try another line, probably Princess, another year. In my dreams.
I watched a sister returned missionary in quarantine give her homecoming talk from her living room on Facebook Live. Is it still Facebook live when you watch it later?? I don't know her. Her mom posted it on Missionary Moms. It was an incredible talk on peace in troubled times. One incident from her mission - they were tracting in an iffy neighborhood. She was scared. A little prayer and she started singing hymns. Fear left her. (and they were safe). I like recorded from home homecoming talks!
I am looking forward to your talk!
DT, B+, and the Patch went in together for a big Airbnb house for your homecoming. David is the organizer there. Despite being told that you will be in quarantine, he does not want to give up hope that things will change for the better. We may end up standing outside your house singing to you - until the neighbors throw things at us.
I love your music videos on Facebook!
Do you do your own arrangements? Thank you for sharing your talent and testimony.
Love,
Grandma Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment