Friday, July 12, 2019

Who's Ministering To Whom?

Tuesday was a full day!
"Lego Movie 2: The Second Part" at the dollar movies at Arden Fair, "Dress Like A Cow Day" at Chick-fil-A, "Notebooks, &; Stickers, &; Pens — Oh My!" ideas and encouragement on journaling at Relief Society activity meeting.

I recently took some games over to a friend's house where  I was greeted by these conflicting signs.  
Lunch Friday at Sae Jong Teriyaki Restaurant.  Marcia invited me on behalf of herself and Galynn.  She also invited me to invite Holly.  And so it was, the four of us had lunch together.  Marcia and Galynn are my ministering sisters.  I am Holly's ministering sister  Holly is Marcia's ministering sister.  Poor Galynn, no one there was her ministering sister. (She said being with us was being ministered to. ) Galynn and Marcia insisted that they pick up the bill and split it between them, although Holly and I had asked for separate tabs.  I guess that Galynn and Marcia get Ministering points.  We sat and talked until the waiter told us that they were closing and asked us to leave.   (They close for 2-3 hours in the afternoon before re-opening for dinner)
Teresa hurried off to Utah Friday, hoping to arrive before her mother departs this mortal sphere.  Her mom was diagnosed with advanced cancer months ago and was given about 3 months to live.  All of her children came to see her.  Friends and her ward rallied around.  Radiation treatment.  She had a really good two months or so, but then she suddenly went into a decline and they don't think she will rally.  I imagine her surrounded by loved ones on both sides of the veil and hope the transition will be peaceful. 

Friday evening the Relief Society Presidency watched a North America West Area Presidency Broadcast.  Mostly about how we need to ramp up our efforts in gathering scattered Israel.  This was a repeat viewing for the rest of the presidency and a first for me.  We all confessed to feeling overwhelmed at first. I barely manage my life.  My house and yard are both a mess and I barely make any headway.  Not sure I even do.  More like one step forward, two steps back.  But I keep trying. Then there's the calling and the ministering. What about extended family, friends, and dare I dream, hobbies? Now we need to reach out, find, and minister to nonmembers.  We cannot leave it all to the missionaries.  (as wonderful as they are!) So much to do!   However,  these great women of faith testified that if the Lord asks us to do it and an apostle promises angels and miracles, then we can do it.  

I am thinking about  "feed my sheep"  "feed my lambs" "feed my sheep".  Maybe there are the sheep in the fold that still need tending. (Believe me!) The lambs who are new in the gospel - even if they were dipped long ago.   And the sheep in the wilderness that need to be brought in.
The "Come, Follow Me" lesson this week includes the story of Saul. I had not paid much attention to Ananais before. Now I see him. He received a call that seemed  off to him. He neither refused nor blindly obeyed. He expressed his concern humbly and sincerely. Then he obeyed. And received with warm, kind fellowship someone he never would have expected to join the church. How do we react when a wild looking sheep approaches the fold neither looking or smelling like a member of the flock? 

I like Saul's reaction when being called out, too. Instead of collapsing and wailing, "I'm dead and damned!" He asks what the Lord would have him do. 
Can you imagine how awkward it might have been when his friends and family learned of his complete turn around?  Although, I think he probably did not go back to them.

Now, I do think that a big personal vision gives one a big edge up in conversion. Precious few if us get the dramatic experience. Would it change our response? I would think so, but maybe not.  So why do some people get angels and bright lights while most if us get a quiet feeling?  If it would make a big difference in our decision and how we lived our lives, would it be fair?  From an October 1976 talk by Neal A. Maxwell, then of the First Council of the Seventy: "In the economy of heaven, God does not send thunder if a still, small voice is enough, or a prophet if a priest can do the job." Some of us may need a mightier message, but it is whether we really accept the message that makes the difference. Maybe it would not really change things. Laman and Lemuel had angels and miraculous shocks, but they got over it. What does it take for me to listen?

In her talk "Careful vs Casual" Becky Craven reminds us that the river of filthy water flows NEAR but not TO the Tree of Life. I reflect that many people of seemingly good intent both in and out of the church disagree on many points and often back their argument with scriptures - even the very elect might be deceived. Of course, we each think it's the other guy, but ...We must be humble and strive diligently to discern truth.



No comments:

Post a Comment