Monday, November 4, 2019

rice spa


11/4 email to my granddaughter Acadia serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Oregon -

Plunk. Monday my phone took a spectacular dive landing in the only liquid anywhere close by. From the stove hood to the pot of chicken broth on the back corner. I pulled it out quickly, wiped it down and put it in rice. But it was doomed. It eventually recovered to the point where the phone seemed to function, but the screen was green (horizonatally striped green like old fashioned wall paper) and you couldn’t see anything. After some research, seeking opinions, and wavering forth and back, I have ordered a replacement phone. Joseph managed to get to settings and up the screen brightness to where I can see somewhat through the green curtain. I have learned that I am very technology dependent. I miss my phone.

I told you I have been a little Downton Abbey crazy lately, watching DVDs whenever David and Teresa can come over. On a slight hiatus at the moment as they are in Tracy watching a little nephew and nieces while they get a new sister. But this week, despite still being only half through the series, David, Teresa, Miriam and I went to see the movie. It was good, but not nearly as good as the TV series. Hard to put my finger on exactly, but I often found myself feeling I was watching caricatures of some of the characters. So, will I buy the DVD when it gets to Costco? Oh, probably.

I donated platelets on Halloween. One of my attendants was Vitalant Man. He was fun. And I think the only one who dressed up. He liked my pirate and was full of Arrrs and Ahoys. I told him that it was good sailing with him.

Miriam got 3 tickets to a Disney movie for purchasing Almond Milk in multiples of 3 during a certain time period. Actually, I did the shopping, but she bought and drank it. The tickets expired Halloween, so she, Teresa, and I saw Maleficent – Mistress of Evil. And we learn a little about not judging.

Miriam bought 2 dozen little plastic unicorns and 3 dozen littler plastic dragons to give the neighborhood kids on Halloween. We finished the evening with 4 dragons. I was surprised we had that many Trick-or-Treaters and we were happy to hear many exclamations of delight, even from older Trick-or-Treaters. One of my ministering sisters gave out candy and holiday pencils. She said she could hear the children excitedly telling their parents about the pencils. Something to bear in mind for next year. Kids like little gifts.

Our Sunday School lesson focused on fear preventing us from doing good. What are we afraid of and what can we do about it. It is surprising how fearful we (I) can be sometimes. One of the strangest things is being afraid of repentance. Embarrassed, afraid of the price we will have to pay, afraid we cannot change. The struggle is real. Yet it is silly of us. Embarrassed to confess to God? Like He doesn’t already know. Afraid of the price/punishment/cost of repentance or change? It will only get worse if we don’t. Afraid we cannot change? Christ said that we can with His help which He yearns to give. And yet it seems hard. We need to love and trust the Lord more completely.

Our poor compassionate service leader. Last week she was trying to get people to sign up to bring meals to a pregnant woman with a son in burn center at Shriners Hospital. She gets people lined up and before we take meals in the boy is discharged and they go home. Good news all around. This week she asked us to take meals to one sister and soup to another brother. I was to take something to each of them today. As I was reviewing my recipes (no salt, no cholesterol, no fat for the sister), Lorretta called. The request she saw was an OLD email. The ward had served, the crises had passed, they don’t need food brought in. She was so embarrassed. I laughed and told her that this time we were just being tested for willingness. I hope it is not too wicked to be relieved not to need to actually serve.

There’s still – always – plenty to do. I think I will try to do something useful.

Love you lots!


No comments:

Post a Comment