Monday, November 4, 2019

behind the green curtain


Monday, October 28
My phone took a dive and with great precision landed in the only liquid anywhere close. Now, it is taking a rice (what is the opposite of a bath? no, not shower) treatment. I am not hopeful, but I will check it tomorrow. I feel incomplete and handicapped.
So odd. Not all that many years ago, few people had mobile phones, now they are nearly essential.

Tuesday, October 29
I am nearly crippled without my phone. I started my day thinking it was an hour earlier than it actually was, so I have been running an hour late. Not good when I have meetings and things to do. I hope that rice is doing its thing. (but I fear I am going to have to replace it which means making expensive technical decisions. sigh)

I am quite phone dependent. I keep wanting to ask someone a question, take a picture for notes, check my calendar, etc etc.

24 Hours after the Death Dive, a nice rice soak in Miriam's room which she kept warm for it, I turned on my phone. It reacted slowly, but it turned on! Looked good for a minute or two, then stripes appeared on the screen. Back to the rice bath. But with some hope?

Monday November 4
The days went by.  Phone functionality appeared to return, but behind a thick  green curtain so I couldn't see what was on the screen.   Sunday, Joseph managed to get to settings and up the brightness to its highest level so I can see somewhat and use the phone until I get the replacement.

I looked at several phones.  Two of my daughters have Pixels which they love.  At least one of my friends dreams of having a Pixel.   I found myself torn between a Pixel (possibly 3a) and another Motorola.  Mine is a Moto Z, the replacement would likely be a Moto Z3play.   The Pixel fans love the camera.  The battery does not seem to be any great shakes.  Moto has better battery life, which is important to me. Friday, the Moto was available for $260 while the Pixel 3 was $399.  I almost made up my mind, but decided to sleep on it.  Saturday morning, the Moto Z3play was $500.  ARGH  The Moto Z4 was also $500, with even better battery and more storage. It is supposed to have an improved camera as well.  I ordered the Moto Z4 from my carrier, Republic Wireless.  The Moto Mod Power Pack I already have and the phone case/wallet I have and really like should fit. 

Spending too much money, but I think I will be happy with the phone.  And be careful not to let it jump in chicken broth (or anything else) again.

No comments:

Post a Comment