Monday, February 17, 2020

Sweet Home

copy of email to my granddaughter Acadia, serving a full-time mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
 
Dear Beautiful Granddaughter, Acadia, Sister Roser,
It was with a mild amount of apprehension, I went to my first Threads of Gold luncheon. Threads of Gold is a monthly(?) potluck for sisters 55 and up (although no one is going to card you if a younger sister chose to attend). It was quite pleasant. There was plenty of good food and containers were thoughtfully provided for sisters to take home leftovers. Conversation was pleasant. Without fanfare there was a booklet available to help plan for end of life or incapacity. I enjoyed it. Not really much to write home about – or write to a missionary – but pleasant. I am undecided about making it a regular thing. Although, I rather think I ought.
 
Partly for my personal development and partly as assignment, I am trying to be better about noticing, validating, and uplifting other sisters. (and other people) Many sisters feel unseen and unimportant to anybody. Even sisters who attend and participate regularly may feel that – as I well know! I am particularly trying to notice the ones on the fringe so to speak. I am making progress, I think. It is not necessarily natural for me to make friendly with people. I am not UNfriendly, I just seldom make the first move. 

A week ago I sat by a sister in Sacrament Meeting whom I did not recognize. (Was I early? That’s a miracle in itself with my household!) But we had time to share names, each confess to being terrible at names and faces, and have a little chit chat. Since then Kathy and I have seen each other probably 3 times and delighted in confirming that each remembered the other’s name. 

This Sunday, we Patch people were late and sitting in the foyer. Miriam always does because she needs to minamalize time on her feet and she must sit in comfort. A sister I didn’t recognize sat by her and soon Miriam had to move because she was bothered by the woman’s fragrance. Concerned that the sister might be offended, I made a point to go up to her as soon as Sacrament Meeting was over. Mele (Tongan – Mele in Tongan is like Mary in English) apparently is a member and lives in the ward, but it was only her 2nd time here. We chatted, went into RS and sat together, and I introduced her. So, I think I am making progress in learning to socialize and to welcome other sisters. 
 
My apprehensive ventures continuing, I attended ARP – Addiction Recovery Program. I do not have any of the classic terrible addictions and I am not sure I want to give up the addictions I do have – can we say chocolate? And clutter, ok I want to lessen that one! - but the invite from the Stake said “anyone who wants to improve”, I do have to learn to be better at DOING the things I ought to do, and I want to be able to help and encourage people I care about who are struggling. Everything about those meetings is confidential, but the program focuses on learning to understand and apply the Atonement of Christ. Who does not need that?!

In somewhat the same spirit of apprehension, that I attended our Relief Society activity night. Laughter Yoga. I have never been attracted to yoga. However, as RS secretary I feel some obligation to go – both as a quasi member of the presidency – be supportive, set an example, fellowship the sisters, all that – and as secretary with the duty to write the RS history. And the event was billed with No Mats, No Yoga Pants. That was promising. Have you heard of Laughter Yoga? Laughter Yoga is a modern exercise involving prolonged voluntary laughter. It is based on the belief that voluntary laughter provides similar physiological and psychological benefits as spontaneous laughter. Not giggles or chuckles but full, out loud belly laughs. There are classes, certified Laughter Yoga instructors, and clubs. With warm ups and more or less guided laughter exercises interspersed with quiet deep breathing. In RS the quiet breathing lasted mere seconds before someone burst out laughing spontaneously. Intentional laughter can, indeed, lead to spontaneous laughter. All kinds of benefits are claimed and, for the most part, I believe them. We have heard before about seriously ill people vastly improving their condition, sometimes even complete healing, with laughter. Watching funny movies and comedians, telling jokes, being silly. Even the intentional laughter gives you a mood boost. It can help your immune system, is exercise for your body core, can relieve stress and depression, and energize you. Something like 20 minutes of intentional laughter is recommended. Believe me, that is a nice little work out. I am not sure that I am ready for classes and clubs. However, I confess that sometimes alone in the car, I intentionally laugh. Then, wondering what other drivers might think of me, I spontaneously laugh. 
 
Valentine’s Day was Graham Cracker Cottage decorating day. Miriam had been trying to get us people together since before Christmas. This was almost perfect. Sadly Debi & company were unavailable. Benjamin, Bethany & babe couldn't come.  But! Joseph took off work early, Andrew has Fridays off, Teresa came and helped, David came direct from work. Ruth and Tom dropped the kids off and enjoyed some couple time including a picnic in the park and overpriced, but very good, ice cream. We let the kids play outside for a bit, had pizza, and then decorated the cottages which Miriam had put together. Great fun.  - pictures below

More grandma, aunt, and uncle time! Saturday Ruth and Tom went to Oakland for a late celebration of Tom’s folk’s anniversary. The plan was temple and enjoy the Bay Area. Good plan which worked well except without the honorees, Steve and Linda. Their car broke down and they didn’t make it. Ruth and Tom enjoyed the temple and the beach. The celebration will be rescheduled. Meanwhile Esther and Jared were invited to a dinner party with friends followed by going to the dance at Mormon Center. So we Patch people spent the afternoon and evening with the younger Hinds. Joseph is amazing at playing Museum Statues. I am quite pleased that both Friday and Saturday we managed the many hours almost totally without screen time for the children. (Miriam worked on some RS stuff on her computer) The kids - No movies, TV, or computer. Except little Peter wanted to look at pictures of the family on my phone. Oh, Naomi did go online and looking at Google Pictures could see what her parents were up to in pretty much real time. “They went to the beach without me!” she exclaimed. At one point Saturday, remembering that someone had mentioned the possibility of watching Toy Story 4, I announced that if they wanted to watch the movie, it must be started now or there would not be time before it was time to get ready for bed. (And with 9am church, there could be no staying up late!) They kids opted to keep playing instead. Yay! And got ready for bed nicely when requested. 
 
I hope your week was as pleasant and productive and that the next will be so as well. 

(Acadia only got some of these pictures.  and there are still more on Facebook) 





Naomi did some little shows.  In this one she was doing magic.


Sam's cottage.  He did not want his picture with his cottage.




Miraim's Star Light Stable.  (or was it Star Fire?)  The horses are Star and Stella.


Joseph's cottage






Love, Grandma Barbara

Do I not have the most beautiful and creative grandchildren?!



No comments:

Post a Comment