Monday, February 24, 2020

Time Travel

copy of email to my granddaughter Acadia, serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Oregon

I did a little time traveling Monday, President’s Day.  Mt. Vernon Memorial Park and Cemetery (which hosts the best Memorial Day Observance every year)  sponsors American Heritage Day on President’s Day. The year was the first I heard of it and decided to check it out.  I had just had a nice chat with a lady making bond lace - wow! What patience! - and was observing a Buffalo Soldier talking to some people, when I heard, “Hi, Grandma!”  Ruth and the kids ! Together we enjoyed a conversation with a Revolutionary War soldier who demonstrated how to load his musket, looked at vintage cars, visited with the Mormon Battalion who had the kids act .  out loading and firing a canon, and rendevouzed with Mountain Men. I plan to make this a tradition.











Teresa, Miriam, and I spent a couple of hours in the 1800’s Tuesday watching “Little Women”.  A charming movie. However, I am not sure it matched my high expectations after all the wonderful things I heard about it.  And, as is the usual, it was not quite as good as the book. I had just read a whole string of Louisa May Alcott books in anticipation of seeing the movie. Maybe that was a mistake.  LOL The disappointment was minor, and it was a delightful movie. 


Continuing the time theme, but this time time and all eternity.  I attended the sealing of a friend and his wife Thursday evening.  How beautiful are the promises made in the temple!


The temple ceremonies have been slightly modified since I first went so many years ago.  Perhaps most of all, the initiatory. I was a bit startled my first time and it took me a long time before I went back to do that work for the dead.  It is now a bit simpler and less startling. Now I love doing them. One of my favorite things is to do a few initiatories and then do a session. Teresa and I try to go to the temple every Friday morning.  Sometimes we do a session, sometimes iniatories and then a session, or when we feel short on time, just initiatories. We are so blessed to have a temple so close. When they announce a temple in a new country, I am so happy for those people!


Amazon does this Treasure Truck thing.  Once a week they send a text telling you what is on the Treasure Truck near you that day.  If you are interested, you order and pay online and they tell you the pick up details. Last month I got a Deebot, a little robot vacuum.  I haven’t used it yet, but Joseph has. We joke that it is his pet. Last week I got a chrome book. I am typing on it now. My laptop is showing signs of age (and having been dropped a time or two).  But, of course, I cannot get rid of it for a while. It has years of pictures on it.  


Andrew spoke in Sacrament Meeting.  He was told to be prepared to be flexible as he was the 3rd speaker.   Well, the first two were youth speakers. Maybe 5 minutes all told. So he gets up, introduces himself, and informs the congregation about the waning.  So he tells them the essence of his talk in one word, “daily.” He leans forward and looks at the clock. He has a good half hour. “Well, since I seem to have a few minutes, we’ll go a little deeper.”   Andrew spoke a 20 minutes and held the congregation rapt. The bare essentials: Satan attacks us every day. We need to fight him every day. Prayer, Scriptures, Repentance. Every day, every day, every day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment