Friday, June 4, 2010

What, Me Join?

I never thought I would set foot in a gym, let alone consider joining one.  A fat old lady does not belong among the young, fit, and spandexed.  

I was surprised at myself when I accepted my daughter's invitation to go as a guest to her gym two weeks ago.  Even more surprised when I not only survived, but pretty much enjoyed it.  I didn't hear any loud gasps, insults or hysterical laughter, either, so either everyone was too busy minding their own business to concern themselves with me or at least they were discrete.

Emboldened and encouraged, I got a free two week pass to the 24 Hour Fitness closest to my work and tried to figure out how I could work gym time into my life.  After work?  No, I have too little time at home as it is.  I do not feel safe downtown after work hours.  Once I get home,  I am not going out again to go to another gym.  I considered starting work 15 minutes earlier and leaving 15 minutes later so I could increase my lunch break to an hour.  I quickly realized that although I can sacrifice some of my 'me' time before I start work, I could not face staying later every day.  I would have to settle for a 45 minute lunch.  On gym days that translates to 5 minutes changing time beginning and ending, 10 minute walk each way, and 15 minutes actually at the gym.  In that first two weeks, I went to the gym 6 out of 8 working days.  I almost hate to admit it, but I do feel good afterwards.  Also, I recently read that the benefits of a 10 minute workout lasts for over an hour - whatever they mean by benefits.  Although 'workout' is putting what I do very strongly.  But I figure 20 minutes of fairly good walking (as opposed to strolling) plus 15 minutes on an elliptical or something similar is certainly more beneficial than 45 minutes of sitting.

Still not certain whether to commit to the more economic (if you use it) $300 for 2 year Costco plan, I decided to buy one month for $40.  Well, I was wrong on a couple of counts.  It's more like $36 or so, but you have to pay the first and last month up front.   They automatically charge you monthly until you tell them to stop - then they burn out your last month.  oh, well.  I signed up.  I need to tell them to stop so I only get charged for two months.  By the end of July, I should have a good idea whether I will really use it or not.

Will I go at least twice a week at lunch, occasionally on Saturday and sometimes on Wednesday evenings while Benjamin is at YM?  Will I FEEL better? Will my diabetes improve?  Enough to stay off insulin?  Is there any hope of me ever losing weight?  That would be something, wouldn't it?!

We can only wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. I've been doing the same thing since September, and it does make a difference - I have better balance, I'm sleeping better at night, and I'm much stronger. I can climb and walk long now, where before I was a pansy. The weight is not coming off. That would take changes in what I eat, and I'm not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to join a gym. Not tot feasible as we live in a much more rural area. Hilly, too, so walks are a challenge.

    I think I could control my diabetes better if I lost weight too. I told Bill I want to have my baby apron removed. LOL There is 10-15 pounds right there.

    ReplyDelete