Monday, December 30, 2019

thank you, Mesoamericans!

email to Acadia, full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, serving in the Oregon Eugene Mission (Or is it Eugene Oregon Mission?)


Dear Acadia,


Happy New Year!

Do you make New Year’s Resolutions?? The only NYR I was ever successful at was to not make any more New Year’s Resolutions. I don’t want to break it now. I tell myself that I should be doing something similar weekly, should we not? Check in with ourselves, repent, resolve and covenant to do better? Daily even, but especially in preparation for the Sacrament. I do confess that I do not often think of it, but I know I should and I do manage sometimes.

I also do not go out and celebrate on New Year’s Eve. I prefer to be safe and comfortable at home. Maybe watch some celebrations on TV and probably go to bed at the regular time (which for me, honestly could be anywhere from 8 to 10 or maybe 11) Officially, Family Prayer and Scripture) is at 9 and then I get ready for bed. But some evenings one of us (usually me) asks for early FP&S. Once in a while so we can watch a movie and not be too tired for FP&S when it is over, but more often because we are tired.

The new curriculum for Come, Follow Me is the Book of Mormon. So now what are we going to do? We usually read a chapter every night after Family Prayer. On Monday at dinner we read from “Come, Follow Me” and call it Home Evening. I think we are going to spend a little time with “Come, Follow Me” for our FP&S. See how that works. Which will lead to new decision making next year about how to work in reading the BoM daily.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas! I hope my little package made it to you.

We had a bit of a long, leisurely Christmas.

Our traditional bread, fruit, and cheese on Christmas Eve while talking about Jesus and his birth. I had not been feeling well, so I didn’t have a plan for the evening. It would have been better if I had.

Christmas morning was just us at the Patch. I had told Santa not to bother with us, which honestly made me a little sad. He surprised us, however with chocolates! We all were up at different times and quietly did our own thing. I watched The Nativity and some other Christmasy movies. Every now and then I asked if they wanted to open a couple of presents, but no one leaped with interest, so it waited until way late in the day. David and Teresa came over and hung out. It was pleasant and peaceful, but not especially Christmasy. Miriam took the day off her special diet, so I made cinnamon rolls, we each put pizza toppings on our own Focccaia bread, and we had Tater Tots. Foods she sometimes misses a lot.

Some of us were glad to have the couple days after Christmas day to finish getting family presents together. Saturday was fun! ! We all gathered at Debi’s for gift exchange and were even able to be on the phone with your folks for hours. Three elves gave homemade chocolates to their giftee AND so the rest of us wouldn’t be jealous, each made little bags of chocolates for the rest of us. My children each gave me chocolate, as well. Debi gave a couple of us Nativities from her day in Portugal. Mine is so tiny! The base is little bigger than a good sized postage stamp! She also gave me a rock with a fish painted on it from Portugal. Really cute. I want to find time to do rock painting. I started to, but life is full. Hinds gave me and apron and “4 seasons towels” made with the kids’ hand prints. The hands are flowers on the apron and in the spring, cardinals in the winter, leaves in the fall, sand un rays in the summer. Cute and clever. Jared did a wood burning Nativity for me. David and Teresa gave me Downton Abby cds. And Mercy Street dvds. For my next, but shorter obsession. It only lasted 2 seasons. Too bad. It was good.


Chocolate was one of the most popular gitts to give and receive this year. I wonder if there will be a reaction next year and no one gives chocolate. Hope not!

So far, I have only had to give one person receipts to return the gift I gave them. I really liked the sweaters I found for Joseph and so did he, but they were two small in the neck and too long in the arm. What a combination. He does not have a thick neck or short arms. But maybe he doesn’t like things on his neck much. I don’t.

With Christmas, 2nd Christmas, special Sacrament Meeting, people taking days off from work, I got quite mixed up on the day of the week and frequently had to check my phone. Not done yet, with New Year’s this Wednesday but that should be less disruptive because my Christmas was sort of Sunday like, but I expect New Years to be less so.
Andrew has been called back into teaching Primary. 7 turning 8. With the 74 year old husband of our RS president. He is really a big kid. An absolute imp. Except not at all evil. Definitely mischievous. They have worked together before. It should be good.

I have had a slight cold for a couple of weeks now. Which meant that when Benjamin, Bethany, and Jacob came to the family gift exchange, I had to wear a mask and I did not try to hold him. Slowly getting better. Hopefully, I can get to know my newest grandchild soon.

I sure love my oldest grandchild! And I am so proud of you! We will be working on plans to go to your homecoming soon. Don’t get trunky! Savor every minute and keep working hard. I know you will. Some missionaries sort of stop focusing on the work, but I think most really throw themselves into it as they realize their time is growing short.

Love you!





No comments:

Post a Comment