Monday, June 1, 2020

Go or Stay Home?


Retirement is "supposed" to be the time to do things you have always wanted to do.  Travel for instance.  I want to do road trips, visit friends, and family, see beautiful places, cruise.  Of course, money is an issue, but mostly there's the concern about whether I should be away from home.  The guys do a lot to help with Miriam, but I feel responsible.

Although Miriam does her own personal care - dresses, bathes, and feeds herself -  we do have to serve her a lot.  Preparing and bringing food.  And you cannot really plan and prepare ahead, because how she feels and what she can eat changes. Laundry.  If there is more than a little walking involved, we need to at least walk with her, but more likely use the wheelchair.  It doesn't sound like a lot, and the guys already do a great deal, maybe more than I do.  And I know I have left for a week or more in the past, even taken Andrew so Joseph was taking care of things alone, but it seems less of a good idea and seems like a lot to ask of them. 

I don't know if - I will ever be free.  Nor can I wish to be, right? 


Or if I am, by then will I be too old and decrepit to do anything?

I hesitate to take a short road trip.  I want to go visit my tree where my ashes will be placed in Better Place Forest near Point Arena, but I don't know about being gone 2-3 days.  And yet I have booked a 7 night Disney Alaska Cruise for September 2021.  Plus travel time and maybe a tourist day or two in Vancouver, B.C.   

No comments:

Post a Comment