Sunday, November 18, 2007

Amazon Law of the Jungle

Distressed to read in the Humane Society News that Amazon.com sells such things as dog fighting videos and cock fighting magazines, I wrote to Amazon.com expressing my dismay and hope to hear soon that they will discontinue supporting suffering and cruelty.

Their reply:

"Thank you for writing to Amazon.com with your concerns.

I understand that you feel very strongly about this issue.

Let me assure you that Amazon.com does not support or promote hatred
or criminal acts; we do support the right of every individual to
choose his or her own reading material or entertainment.

As a retailer, our goal is to provide customers with the broadest
selection possible so they can find, discover, and buy any item
they might be seeking. That selection includes some items which
many people may find objectionable. Therefore, the items offered on
our web site represent a wide spectrum of opinions on a variety of
topics.

Amazon.com believes it is censorship not to sell certain titles
because we believe their message is objectionable. Therefore, we
will continue to make controversial works available in the United
States and everywhere else, except where they are prohibited by
law. We also allow readers, authors, and publishers to express
their views freely about these titles and other products we offer on
our web site. However, Amazon.com does not endorse any opinions
expressed by individual authors, musical artists, or filmmakers."

I am not a big customer by any stretch, but I have certainly liked the convenience of shopping Amazon. In fact, I had just recently happily taken care of some of my Christmas shopping. However, I am terminating my account with them. There are some things I may disapprove of and know are wrong, yet agree to disagree, but I cannot knowingly support such torture and cruelty even in a small remote way. Some people say that we have no right to force our values on others, especially in the business place, but I say we must stand up for what is right. Taking a stand on what kind of business I choose to do does not force my values on others. They are free to make their own choices, but I will have no part in it.

My last email to Amazon: " Please cancel my account with you and remove my lists. I am not knowingly doing business with a company that promotes cruelty and torture such as dog fighting and cockfighting. I shudder to think what other reprehensible and cruel activities you support in your goal to provide customers with the broadest selection possible in ANYTHING they might be seeking. You have no morals and one less customer. "

Dear loved ones, in the future, please do not purchase gifts for me from Amazon.com. Sorry, I know how convenient and easy it was! Instead of a gift, write me a note saying you supported my small boycott. Thing of the money you'll save!

No comments:

Post a Comment