Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Americans are a free people

Americans are a free people, who know that freedom is the right of every person and the future of every nation. The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world; it is God's gift to humanity.
George W. Bush, State of the Union address 2003
43rd President of US (1946 - )
Americans are a free people because of the gift of God and our veterans.  Thank you from the depths of my heart!

a small sampling, clumsily and inadequately expressed,  of the freedoms and pleasures for which I thank you Veterans -

The right to vote - Little over a week ago, we cast our votes to help determine the government and future of our communities and the nation.  There were great differences in opinion - high feeling and raised voices.  Debate, argument, protests.  We voted and now we move forward.  Whether our side won or lost, we move forward peacefully (for the most part!) together.  It is all really wonderful and amazing.

We can express our opinion freely and openly.  Talk, blog, write to the editor and to our government.  Compliment, complain, criticize, counsel.  Say what we will, we have that right.

When I see a police officer, I see a public servant who works to keep me safer, not someone who will drag me away in the night.

I look up at airplanes and think of vacations, visits, and business trips, not fear of being bombed.

I can move travel across the country without asking state permission.

I live, work, recreate where I wish, not where the state dictates.

I cannot begin to list the blessings and privileges I enjoy as an American (especially as there are dozens of things I ought to be doing right now!) and I am sure I do not even realize many of them, but I am truly daily grateful to live in this beautiful and free country brought forth and preserved by the hand of God, inspired patriots, and our brave veterans. 

To all who wear or have worn our country's uniform - Whether you served in war or peace, THANK YOU.  To those who did have to go to battle, I honor and thank you even more.   I realize that I cannot thank you enough.  God bless you always.

Thank you for the good life you have given us!








No comments:

Post a Comment