Thursday, May 27, 2010

24 Minute Fitness

Saturday I did something I thought I would never ever do in my life.  I went to a gym.  

Miriam belongs to 24 Hour Fitness and every now and then they have days when members can bring a guest.  I went with some trepidation, but I not only survived, I pretty much enjoyed it – of course, I was with Miriam.  We worked out on the elpiticals for about 300 calories for me.  She worked harder and I think did 400.  Then she showed me some of the weight equipment.  I dodged the salesman – although now we are getting phone calls. 

This week I checking out the Downtown Plaza club – can I realistically go twice a week after work or modify my schedule to go during lunch?  Is it too crowded to make it worth it?  They have a 14 day one location free pass so I can look it over this week.  I am thinking Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Then maybe go to the Fulton and Hurley club (where Miriam and I went) sometimes on Saturdays.  Costco offers a 2 year membership for $300 which is cheaper than any of their other memberships.

If I go after work, I have to worry about safety downtown in the evening and what to do with all my stuff I carry back and forth to work.  Even walking there on lunch time is not entirely comfortable.  Lots of homeless and questionable looking people hanging about.   I am not walking or biking there after hours.  The light rail does not come close enough or often enough for me to feel safe using that either.  Besides, the clientele after hours is much the same as on the streets. ,

 If I go during lunch, my stuff can stay at the office and I will feel safer, but I will have to start work earlier so I can take a longer lunch.  30 minutes won’t get me there, do anything, and get back.  Not to mention I cannot work out in work clothes or go to work in work out clothes even though the word work shows up everywhere. 

It takes me about 5 minutes to change.  So I need half an hour before I even start exercising.  This week I have been starting work 15 minutes early.  That still only means 15 minutes of exercise (not counting the walking/biking – my warm up and cool down?) Am I willing to stay at work another 15 minutes later (if my boss approves it)? Probably.

The good news is that they have bicycle racks out front.  Interestingly, it seems to take about 10 minutes whether I walk or unlock, bike and lock up.  So, I will probably walk.

I am hoping this does work out (well, PART of me is) and that it will significantly help my diabetes.  I hate to admit it, but I do feel good after spending even 15 minutes on the elliptical – as I do when I bike. 

It has been suggested that I simply climb stairs in my building, but I have found that is too hard on my joints to do much regularly. And boring. Or that I simply ride my bike at lunch time.  The bike is already there and I could see a bit of Sacramento, but there is too much traffic and too many lights for really good riding until I get too far out to get back on time – unless I do extend my lunch time which for some reason I am less willing to do if I am not going to the club.  And I don’t really want to exercise with any great enthusiasm in 100 degree or winter weather.  At the club I can also plug in headphones and watch their TV.     

I think I like the idea of the club.  Enough to pay that much money and keep going?  Still thinking, but leaning toward yes.  I might decide next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment