Sunday, April 15, 2012

some of today's lessons








George Albert Smith: “I sometimes have said to my friends when they seemed to be at the crossroads, uncertain as to which way they wanted to go, ‘Today is the beginning of eternal happiness or eternal disappointment for you.’”  

and speaking at a funeral "I have no more doubt about eternal life and the immortality of the soul than I have that the sun shines at midday. … It is a sad thing to part with our dear ones, even temporarily. We send them upon missions, or they go to other parts of the world to live and we miss them. When an occasion like this occurs it seems that they are more distant, but as a matter of fact they are not, if we but understood. … Instead of extending the condolence that sometimes might go to those who are bereaved, I feel more like rejoicing this day that I know that this is not the end. … 
 
“… So today, as I stand in your presence, when perhaps tears should be flowing, my soul is filled with comfort and satisfaction. I pray that that comfort may be in the lives of each of those who are bereaved."


How wonderful it is to know that our spirits are eternal and that because of Jesus Christ, if a man die, he WILL live again.  And that if we repent and try to follow Christ, we will live in happiness and glory with our loved ones.  I am so thankful for my Savior Jesus Christ and His great redeeming love and courage. What a mensch! 
 
And that He was willing to go through unimaginable suffering for ME! I would not believe it except for the spiritual hug I sometimes get when I contemplate the atonement. Amazing. Praise the Lord! And try not to disappoint Him or to waste His sacrifice.


From Sherida's Dietrich's talk today:

Repentance is not a punishment. It is a divine tool for progression. 
 
She quoted Dieter F. Uchtdorf : “But even though man is nothing, it fills me with wonder and awe to think that “the worth of souls is great in the sight of God.”

And while we may look at the vast expanse of the universe and say, “What is man in comparison to the glory of creation?” God Himself said we are the reason He created the universe! His work and glory—the purpose for this magnificent universe—is to save and exalt mankind. In other words, the vast expanse of eternity, the glories and mysteries of infinite space and time are all built for the benefit of ordinary mortals like you and me. Our Heavenly Father created the universe that we might reach our potential as His sons and daughters.

This is a paradox of man: compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are everything to God.” 
 
Our insufficiences in no way disqualify us from His redeeming love.
Without repentance, there is no real progression or improvement.
Repentance points the way to freedom, confidence, and peace.
Repentance is an expression of love.
Repentance is more than abandoning sin. It is commitment to obedience.


From Daneece Adair's talk:
Do you want Satan or do you want angels to be cheerleaders in your life?






No comments:

Post a Comment