Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nice Interchange at the Elevator

I don't get showered with compliments (who really does?, more's the pity), so when I get one, I like to keep it to look back on.

I was waiting for the elevator on my way to class the other day. Encountered a gentleman I have sometimes helped at my desk. I don't know who he is, but I think he is one of the "higher ups" (whom I probably SHOULD recognize). Seeing my textbook, he asked about class and what I want to be "when I grow up." I confessed that I am quite uncertain of my career ambitions as I don't want a lot of stress and responsibility. He made sympathetic noises and said something about it being good to keep options open - like by taking classes to help qualify for promotions. I said something about maybe staying a lowly tech, except money is handy sometimes. He scoffed, said don't say lowly, you are the ones who get things done. Then he said that if he had his own office, he would want to hire me because I was so helpful. He may have even indicated that he thinks I am smart. Certainly perked up my day!

1 comment:

  1. That is nice to have your work appreciated.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete