Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The best way to keep children home is to make the home atmosphere pleasant--and let the air out of the tires.

Dorothy Parker
US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)
 
 
 
It was nearly a month ago when I had my car serviced.  As I paid, the man casually mentioned a nail in one of the tires.  I thought to myself, "I need to take care of that, but I am too busy right now."  I put it in the back of my mind. 
 
Yesterday morning or the day before?,  I noticed that one of my tires was looking squishy.  "Oh, yeah, one of my tires has a nail  I wonder if it is that one."  What kind of bad things might happen if you force more compressed air into a tire with a nail in it?  I don't want to know.  I started to get nervous about the tire.
 
Last night, Andrew had the Eagle Recogntion Dinner for guys who earned their Eagle in the last year.  At the Radison. Around the block from Costco Expo.  Pretty convenient.  I dropped him off and took Goldie over. 
 
The service bays were empty and chained off.  It didn't look promising.  I had expected them to be full of working persons' cars.  Which would also be a problem.  Happy surprise, they were open and not at all busy.   They said it would take about 45 minutes.  I think it took almost that long before they called me to tell me that the tire was irrepairable and must be replaced.   Fortunately, most of the cost would be covered by warranty.  I sent my time enjoying the birthday present I was finally able to find for Ruth on the way to the Eagle Dinner.  (I hope she likes it; I do.  I almost gave it to her last night when we got home, but it was late.)  When they finally called, they asked if I was nearby.  Right outside, beginning to wonder what in the world I was going to do if they didn't finish!  When I tried to go in, the receipt checkers told me, "Sorry, we're closed."  I told them I was going to the tire center, but they still said, "No, we closed at 8:30"  Finally, I told them they have my car, so they let me go in.  It only cost me eight and a half dollars to redeem Goldie. 
 
A little more time with Ruth's present in the Radison parking lot and my Eagle called for his ride home.

2 comments:

  1. I like my present! (For everyone else- its a book called "Before Green Gables". Its about Anne's life before the series.) It kind of makes me wish I were sick this week, instead of the last two. Because now I'm so busy catching up on housework, YW, and stamping stuff that I totally neglected while I was sick. I don't have much time to read. Just a few minutes a few times a day while I'm taking quick breaks. It may be a while before you get to borrow the book back, Mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fantastic book! I'm gonna have to look into it! :)

    ReplyDelete