Tuesday, February 5, 2008

to guide us in these latter-days

I was at my desk and my fingers were doing my job, but my ears, (most of my) mind, and heart were elsewhere yesterday morning.  My computer connection was not very good and kept cutting out.  That didn't stop the thrill as I "got to" the news conference online a little late, and heard the voice of our new prophet.  A voice that we have known and loved for years.  
 
Of course, it was not a big surprise as a pattern has been established since the early days of the church.  Yet, as the official church word had been that the new president was to be announced a few days after President Hinckley's funeral, I did not presume to KNOW and certainly not to SAY that President Monson would succeed him.  When I heard him speaking for the first time as President of the Church,   I knew it was right.
 
Thomas S Monson is the new President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I sustain him whole-heartedly as a prophet, seer, and revelator, chosen by God to lead His people today.  His counselors are Henry B. Eyring and Dieter F. Uchtdorf.  I love them.  I have a testimony of revelation and that they are true prophets.  I know that the Apostles did not "vote" for President Monson, but each received the word of the Lord.
 
Of course, all the Apostles and other General Authorities are totally loveable.  Every conference as each one gets up to speak, I think, "OH! He's one of my favorites!"  I cannot remember ever thinking disappointedly, "Oh, him."
 
What a blessing to live in the days of the restored gospel and the miracle of modern communication!

1 comment:

  1. I was taking the route of knowing the history but not assuming that I "knew" who it would be too, but then at the funeral, President Packer (I think it was him) did say that ALWAYS the senior apostle is the next president. That really stood out to me, so at that point, I felt safe to have confidence that President Monson was it.

    Someone also mentioned (not during the funeral but in a seperate broadcast) that 1) the Lord is the one who calls the apostles in the order they are called, and 2) the Lord is the one who preserves their lives for the length of time that He desires them to be there. He has it all set up the way He wants it, so we can have confidence in that.

    And it's also nice that there is no reason to worry that it's just chance that left President Monson next "in line", it truly is the Lord's will for him to be the Senior apostle, and therefore the next president. Of course, then the apostles do each receive confirmation of that and we can too. There is no chance involved at all - just revelation from the very beginning. :)

    ReplyDelete