Thursday, September 2, 2010

My kind of education!


10 am got this email :

BARBARA ROBARTS has been Approved to attend Introduction to California State Parks (11/1/2010-11/5/2010). 

Yippee!  How cool is that?!     

You may not know how cool this is.  This is a class recommended for Parks employees of 6 months - 2 years.  It is held in the Mott Training Center, at Asilomar on the Monterrey Penninsula.   I have talked to a couple of employees who took it and said it is FANTASTIC - besides being in an absolutely beautiful place!

 Now I need to find out the details. 

and I need Deputy Director approval, but I don't think that will be a problem.

If it is like the class they had a couple of years ago (January 2008 – I found the syllabus on-line).  I will drive down and check in Monday.  Stay in shared rooms at the center and eat in the cafeteria – no charge.  Tuesday’s classes include a one hour Asilomar Ramble – walking tour of the facilities.  Thursday evening we have a bbq & campfire program.  Friday classes are over at noon, we eat lunch and leave.  It make take me a while to actually get out of the area. ; )   It is about a 4 hour drive.  I will probably get home in time for family prayer.   

I am so excited!!!  I hope the weather is decent.  Oh, I hear it is almost always decent there!!  Might be rainy, but might not, it is a little early in the rain season.  And the temperatures should be mild.

I will learn about California State Parks history, mission and philosophy.  I will learn about the organizational structure, personnel and human rights, Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation, back injury prevention, Natural Resources,  Cultural Resources, cooperating associations and volunteers, interpretation, accessibility and more. 

30 hours of course work.  oh, what will I do with the rest of my time stuck there on the coast like that???

1 comment:

  1. That sounds wonderful!!! Wow, I am excited and happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete