Monday, April 27, 2020

Free to Be

We hear people say they want to be free.  I am not talking about prisoners or citizens of a totalitarian nation.  Americans with what look to be pretty decent lives.  Especially young people.  Some of whom live at home - free of rent or mortgage and all the responsibilities of a family. What is it they want?

What is does FREEDOM mean?

Freedom from what?

There is no such thing as COMPLETE freedom.  There are natural laws that govern the universe and our lives.  There are also man-made laws.

We are free to make our own choices and do all kinds of things.  We are NOT free to avoid the ramifications.  

I can choose to jump off a cliff.  I am not free to avoid the splat that is likely to follow once I do. 

I am free to not pay my bills.  I cannot also choose to have excellent credit or to be free from bill collectors if I don't. 

I am free to eat like a pig.  I am not free to look and run like a gazelle if I do. 

I am free to steal, but I am not free from prosecution and probable jail time if I do.

I can choose to be rude and selfish, but I cannot also choose to be loved and respected. 

There are circumstances that can limit our freedom.  A disabled person may not be free to even walk across the room. But for the most part, our freedom is bound by good sense and an awareness of law.

If I want physical stamina, I must eat right, get enough sleep, and exercise. 

If I wish to choose eternal life, I must choose to obey God's laws.  I can violate those laws if I want, but the consequence is not being eligible for celestial life. 

If I want peace of mind, I need to do the things that I know are right. 

I can choose my actions, but I cannot choose the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment