Tuesday, April 14, 2020

I used to write to Acadia

Easter evening email to my children (who are not my housemates) and the grandchildren for whom I have email addresses

I realize that I would like to  connect with all of you more.  I am not very interesting, but hey, Acadia put up with my letters while on her mission, why stop now? and why not spread my net so to speak.

I hope you had a lovely Easter weekend.  What was your favorite part? 

Hard to choose!  I loved getting pictures and a video of the Hinds finding eggs Saturday and the videos of the musical Rosers.  I loved taking the Sacrament at home while thinking about Jesus' sacrifice, atonement, and resurrection.  I know, that's a regular thing, however it seemed extra special to me today. 



https://www.facebook.com/sariah.roser/videos/10158471229318000/


I know that many have you have participated in Welcome Home Drive-bys.  We don't have many missionaries out from our ward.  We do have one sister who is a spiritual/emotional support person for missionaries in Hong Kong.  But!  she came home a couple of months ago.  Yet, she is still a full-time missionary.  She spends hours every afternoon and evening - or is it evening and night - on the phone with her missionaries who are 15 hours ahead of us.  Anyway, we haven't done any Welcome Home Drive-bys.  We have done Birthday Drive-bys for 3.  But! we have done 4 drive-bys.

The first two drive-bys we learned about on NextDoor.  The third one I was told about at a (teleconference) Relief Society Presidency Meeting (I am secretary).  One of the counselors told us about a Primary girl whose birthday was the next day and that her mom wanted a drive-by.  Andrew and I drove out near the house and put up our sign on the car.  10o'clock came and we were the only car there!  But we drove by the house yelling and waving.  Birthday girl was out there with her mom and  sister, but she looked confused.  I texted Mom.  Did we have the time wrong?  No, we did not.  We had the day wrong! Her birthday was two days later!  That time there were lots of cars. 

IMG_20200408_103027907.jpg
Joseph does not want a drive by for his birthday. Andrew does not want one, either.  

I have been listening to LibriVox recordings of Lucy Maud Montgomery's books.  (Usually when I am pulling weeds.  Which I have not done for a few days.)  Now I am in Short Stories 1902-1903.  And most days I like to watch The Waltons.  Charming and simple.  Which story world would I rather live in?  Well, I love the Waltons, but they are living in the Great Depression.  There doesn't seem to be much economic worry on Prince Edward's Island. Oh, well, I can't live in either, but I can try to be nice, honest, and hard working like most of those people. I guess we are all learning to better appreciate the simple things now.

Not to say that you are simple things, but I appreciate and love you.

Stay well. Be happy. 

Love, 
Grandma Barbara
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment