Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Be Still and Know

June 14, Saturday Session Stake Conference


President Craig Norman talked about perspective – ours and God’s.

Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God.”

D&C 101: 32 "Yea, verily I say unto you, in that daywhen the Lord shall come, he shall reveal all things

33 Things which have passed, and hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth, by which it was made, and the purpose and the end thereof—

34 Things most precious, things that are above, and things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, and upon the earth, and in heaven."

The Lord knows all things, we don’t.

We are here to be tested whether we will trust and follow the Lord.

Abraham 3:25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them

We tend to pray for what we want. We need to pray for things to be done the way the Lord wants them done.

Elder Dalin H. Oaks "He Heals the Heavy Laden" October 2006 "Healing blessings come in many ways, each suited to our individual needs, as known to Him who loves us best. Sometimes a "healing" cures our illness or lifts our burden. But sometimes we are "healed" by being given strength or understanding or patience to bear the burdens placed upon us."

Life is short. 100 years from now, all new people.


--Sister - I forgot her name or position or anythong
D&C88:
63 Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

64 Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you;
65 And if ye ask anything that is not expedient for you, it shall turn unto your condemnation.
66 Behold, that which you hear is as the voice of one crying in the wilderness—in the wilderness, because you cannot see him—my voice, because my voice is Spirit; my Spirit is truth; truth abideth and hath no end; and if it be in you it shall abound.
67 And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.
68 Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will.


spiritual experiences are not forced upon us, but must be sought & accepted


--SisterWinkle-temple pres wife
Elder Faust "Tell the people, the temple is for you."
Savior > Nephites: Come unto me & repent that I may Heal you - Savior came to the Nephites at the temple
D&C128:
19 Now, what do we hear in the gospel which we have received? A voice of gladness! A voice of mercy from heaven; and a voice of truth out of the earth; glad tidings for the dead; a voice of gladness for the living and the dead; glad tidings of great joy.


--Pres Winkle temple pres
-life is sometimes puzzling, but if we follow direction of prophet, we will be blessed
1 Cor 2:9
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
D&C 78: 18 And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours.


Sullivan Ballou letter

July 14, 1861
Camp Clark, Washington

My very dear Sarah:
The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days—perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more . . .

I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans on the triumph of the Government and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and sufferings of the Revolution. And I am willing—perfectly willing—to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt . . .

Sarah my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me unresistibly on with all these chains to the battle field.


The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them for so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when, God willing, we might still have lived and loved together, and seen our sons grown up to honorable manhood, around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me—perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar, that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battle field, it will whisper your name. Forgive my many faults and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often times been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness . . .

But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the gladdest days and in the darkest nights . . . always, always, and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath, as the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by. Sarah do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again . . .

Sullivan Ballou was killed a week later at the first Battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861.


Sullivans and Sarahs are waiting to be sealed.



--Elder William F Reynolds, Area 70
part of the onspiration of a prophet is knowing the right questions
-peon & mathematician - A peon who had never before left his village went on a train to the city. Seated beside him was a well-traveled, educated mathematician. M, bored, proposed a game. "If I ask you a question you cannot answer, you give me a peso. If you ask me a question I cannot answer, I give you a peso." P "No, you would soon take all my money." They rode on. M, even more bored, "OK, If
I ask you a question you cannot answer, you give me a peso. If you ask me a question I cannot answer, I give you 10 pesos." P agreed. M "Who is the world's greatest statistician?" P handed over a peso. P "What goes up the mountain on 3 and comes back down on 4?" M was stumped and handed P 10 pesos. P "Now, it's your turn." M "Wait a minute! What's the answer?" P handed M a peso.
-sometimes it's just knowing the right ? to ask
-dreams are positive hopes

faith-hope/dreams-work

-the family dog- When Brother Reynolds was young, the family got a dog. They gave it to him which meant he had to clean up after the dog every day. His mom ran a little business out of the home to help the family income, so he really did have to clean up every day. Loved the dog. Hated cleaning up. When grown he resolved, no dog. He had several sons. Each in turn asked for a dog. "You will have to clean up after the dog every day. To prove that you will do this, you must keep your room clean every day for a year." OK! the boy would say. One lasted a few weeks. One a month or two - made him nervous. One just said forget it. The youngest one cleaned his room. After a few months, there was a dog bowl in the kitchen - waiting for the dog. A couple of months later a dog leash. Still cleaning his room. A bit later a dog book. They got the dog when the year was up and the boy cleaned up after the dog until he went away to college.
-Moroni 7:
42 Wherefore, if a man have faith he must needs have hope; for without faith there cannot be any hope.

43 And again, behold I say unto you that he cannot have faith and hope, save he shall be meek and lowly of heart.
44 If so, his faith and hope is vain, for none is acceptable before God, save the meek and lowly in heart; and if a man be meek and lowly in heart, and confesses the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, he must needs have charity; for if he have not charity he is nothing; wherefore he must needs have charity.


-Joseph Smith Jr - meekness-being to accept without complaint, murmuring
Elder Packer said Go home. Find out what the Lord has given you & give it away.
-no hard feelings in Celestial Kingdom
love begets love, pour forth love, cast our bread upon the waters & we shall receive it AFTER MANY DAYS many fold
-Isaiah 58:
6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
8 ¶ Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward.
9 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
11 And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.


we live in a noisy world
take a week, start on Sunday, fast, then all week fast media, listen only to spiritual music, stop all accusations, give up all granulated sugar products, compliment Everyone before you say/do anything else, converse with Lord (like Tevye), extend missionary invitation (church,BoM, meet missionaries), pray for each family member by name daily, bear testimony to someone every day, visit elderly/lonely person you have never visited before,
-hard things are voming, but if you keep the commandments, you need not fear

No comments:

Post a Comment