Sunday, June 22, 2008

I think that little by little I'll be able to solve my problems and survive.

I think that little by little I'll be able to solve my problems and survive.
Frida Kahlo, Letter to Nickolas Muray, 12-18-1939
Mexican painter (1907 - 1954)

Deseret Industries had a special suit sale for perspective missionaries. I took the day off work. Andrew & I were there at the door opening. A DI worker, Janet, was very helpful. Brand new $200 suits for $85! We bought 3 -2 identical dark blue/black with pin stripes & a brown one, a few ties, 4 white shirts, some black socks & a belt. Andrew paid for 2 of the suits & most of the ties. I found a couple of denim jumpers and a couple of tops, but alas no shoes. I need walking shoes. A good shopping trip.

Andrew will need a passel more white shirts. I want to get some nice ones. And shoes. I want to get him 2 really good pair, probably both Doc Martins.

We got home just in time for our neighbor to take Andrew to Burger King to thank him for watching her house & watering her yard while she was gone.

I rented a floor sander and spent all afternoon in the blue room, spelled briefly by Benjamin. When Tom came over later in the evening to advise, I showed him a loose floorboard I had found. Termite damage! Fortunately old termite damage - no termites. He said somebody is going to have to go under the house and replace the supporting underfloor in that section @ 4x6 inches. Under the house? the thought gave me the willies and I didn't think the guys would go for it either. Poor Tom said he would do it. As for the rest of the floor, more sanding!

Saturday morning, I bought some more lumbar and an outlet to eventually replace the one that broke when the sander bumped its cord plugged into it (!) & electrical tape to cover the outlet until it is replaced. I sanded some more before cleaning myself up to go to a Ward Activities Committee Meeting. Tom came over & spent pretty much the whole day working on - or rather under - my house. Of course, it would have gone a little faster, but one piece of
wood was the slightest bit too wide. Tom's saw batteries were all worn out. The saw pretty much stopped spinning when it touched the wood. We tried rotating the batteries on the charger, but they didn’t get enough time to charge. In between Andrew running back and forth to the charger, we worked with a handsaw. SLOW going! Finally, Tom crawled out from under the house and called Greg F who gladly loaned us his power saw. That certainly made a difference! Tom finished under the house, replaced the hardware floor slats in the room and then finished sanding. What a guy!


  1. That was nice of Tom! :) Are you refinishing the floors? Don't forget to post pics!

  2. Sounds like you got a lot done. Yea for missionary suits!