Friday, August 15, 2008

Think of life as a terminal illness, because, if you do, you will live it with joy and passion, as it ought to be lived.

Anna Quindlen, A Short Guide to a Happy Life, 2000

I did return to work Thursday, neither restored nor invigorated.  The most vigorous thing about me was an not-intermittent-enough hacking cough.  Three supervisors and numerous rank-and-file co-workers urged my departure.  I only stayed little over two hours.  I did find out that the doctor note requirement is up to the supervisor's discretion.  My boss is not going to ask me to go to Kaiser for a note - so far. 


Home again today and still feeling very lazy.  The cough has been quiet for a few hours now.  Good!  My throat feels absolutely raw from it.  Every once in a while I get a sneeze or a regular cough instead of the deep tearing cough series.  Hopefully, that's a transitional sign.

I had big plans of things to do with the kids gone and my duties light.  sigh. Not happening here.  I stripped my bed today and washed the sheets.  Now, I am hoping for strength to remake the bed.  Otherwise, there is the couch and I will do it tomorrow.

I am working on my card sets to give.  6 per set times - what? -a dozen people is an awful lot of cards. I am not half way to goal.  And I can think of many several friends that I would like to give gifts.  Family and VT, first. Trust me, you are not missing out on much! 

Bah, humbug! I haven't designed my Christmas card yet. I always promise myself 1) that I will start early, but here it is August already and no plan,  and 2) that I will cut my card list to a reasonable size, but it just keeps growing.  I don't like to take people off.  Even if it is my only contact with them all year, they are people that have touched my life and that I care about.  I need to make extra cards, too, and early, to send to Elder Robarts  to use - provided we have managed to finally get him out on his mission!  (Still no word from the oral surgeon.  I think my note is to call the 18h if we don't hear from them.)  Anyway, I need to get cracking on my Christmas cards - plan (not a good day for it, still non-working brain), order supplies, and get started.  It had better be a simple one.  So much to do!  It is "only August" but I am feeling the pressure.  There are too many things I want to make, even though they are mostly simple. (And only ideas for about half my people, anyway)  I don't know if I will manage it. The boys and I have decide whether to try orange marmalade again, too.  I originally pictured orange marmalade being instead of other gifts, but somehow it doesn't seem nearly adequate.   Especially as it never did set.

oh, the wretched cough again!

The kids come back tomorrow.  I will be glad to see them, but do not want to share this bug and am not looking forward to the little responsibilities.  Maybe tomorrow is the day I wake up hale and healthy.  Would be nice.  It has been nice not to worry  about them while they were gone. I am confident that everyone is looking out for each other and that they are having a great time.  I am like an animal that just wants to hole up and be alone when I am sick.  Did my body deliberately time this illness??? Is that possible?  I have in past times in my life noticed that I usually tend to only get really sick when I can "afford" the time.  So, am I blessed to be able to resist illness when the need is greater, or am I somehow subconsciously a fake?  Believe me, if I was going to fake an illness, I would omit the throat tearing cough!

I am going back to my cards now.


2 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling yourself again soon. I think the last thing you are is a faker. I really believe also that our body senses when it is a good time. Like the brain sends out a memo or something. LOL.

    I hope the kids had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhh. Being sick is so lame. I hope you are feeling better now (and I hope no one caught it from you!). At least you get paid time off!

    That's too bad that it ruined your plans with Anna. She would have enjoyed a beach trip as much as you would have. Maybe you can go on another day when you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete