Saturday, January 31, 2009

Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.

Andy Rooney US news commentator (1919 - )

I am not completely sure how much that quote applies to today. I did spend a little time on Facebook, but very little.

I always have such big plans for what I am going to accomplish of a Saturday - today - work on trying to find the family room, turn my mattress and change my sheets, laundry, pay bills, set up a bookkeeping system, write letters, clean the bathrooms and maybe some other housekeeping, run errands, sort meds, and stamp with my new Love You Much Bundle like we did in Ruth's class. - That actually doesn't sound like all that much.

Today was another boys play Halo with Dad day. (Despite Mom's abhorrence of games of violence). The plan was for us to work in the family room for a couple of hours before they left. However, we have reached a point where difficult decisions must be made. There are several old, old, ancient computer bits which I would cheerfully discard, however my chief geek here insists that they each have a wonderful use unique unto itself. We spent some time trying to figure out where to set them up so as to lesson their ugly impact and space hogginess. Somewhat unsuccessfully. If Joseph gets a hard drive enclosure (whatever that is), I think we agreed that we can MAYBE get rid of one computer thing. Maybe. Not that that helps much. It is just a rectangle that a monitor is sitting on.

Argh!!! and alas! Over the course of time, we have gathered up some really repulsive electronic waste which is in a big black garbage bag. We heard about a e-waste collection day, loaded up the car, and headed there immediately after work a week ago Friday. Wrong Friday. Naturally, on the correct Friday, yesterday, I completely forgot until I was listening to the radio waiting at the Light Rail station to carpool home with Joseph. A series of misunderstandings then ensued. It was 5:30 and I thought the collection was over at 6. Not enough time to go home, get the stuff, and drive across town. Also, I was waiting for Joseph. and waiting. and waiting. He thought I knew he was going to the credit union after work. So, I would have had time to go get the stuff, but I didn't know it. Now what I am going to do with it? I think I can take it out to the landfill where they don't put it in, but it is a fair drive and they might charge.

The boys did take care of some tree branches that have been gracing our front yard for a couple of weeks.

I don't know why I think I will accomplish amazing amounts of things with the boys gone. I don't. Some stuff, yes. Among them - I found out we were out of milk. Why doesn't anyone tell me these things? So, I went and got keys made for the guys for the newly re-keyed car, bought a traverse rod for the drapes we inherited from my mom which I think / hope will do nicely for the family room heat-sucking windows, and bought milk. I did do a lot of bill paying, but no bookkeeping setting up. I did manage to turn my mattress and re-make my bed in freshly washed sheets. :) Even though it took me until 8:30 pm to do it. A bit of cleaning in the bathroom, but not thorough both bathroom cleaning. No letters and no stamping!

It is past my bedtime. Family prayer, scriptures, and clean sheets!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how little gets done when you have so much to do?? Drives me nuts.Although you did have a very productive day. I barely managed to bathe kids and make sure we had clean clothes for Sunday.

    I think Joseph speaks another language as I would be totally lost too. I hope you are able to get rid of the unneeded ones soon.

    I sure appreciate your friendship, and so glad I found you. Or you found me or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to laugh about your computer junk. My dad, who has been fascinated and good with computers since they were invented, has collected bits and pieces of now obsolete equipment. It's everywhere. And you can't just dump it, so it just sticks around.

    Also, I understand getting 1/2 a thing done on your mile-long to-do list. Life gets so much in the way!

    ReplyDelete