Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Big Day

The day was suddenly upon us.

We drove into Provo and found the MTC. He could have checked in early, but I wasn't ready, I don't know about him. We went to where I used to live at Brigham Young University during my brief time there, glanced at the Harris Fine Arts Center where I worked cleaning the "mud rooms". I couldn't remember where the mud rooms were and suddenly we realized that there were only 2 hours to check in and we wanted to have lunch first. The old grocery store where we shopped when I lived at Heritage Halls (I was in Apt 64 in Harris Hall) now has a grill and ice cream - The Creamery on Ninth. We each had a cheeseburger and fries (should have shared fries. As if that wasn't enough, and it probably was, we each ordered double scoop of ice cream - Earnestly Chocolate - somewhat similar to Moose Tracks but with caramel cups and not quite as chocolatey. Double scoops! Fortunately, they had no cones so we got it in cups. We were each able to only eat about half of ours. We walked with them back to the car, drove up past Provo Temple to the head of the canyon, ate a few more bites, then headed down the hill to the MTC. We had to leave the ice cream in the car.

Benjamin called us somewhere in that time so we were on the phone with him just before Andrew actually walked into the MTC. Benjamin and Andrew had a last little talk. Andrew was deeply moved. Later, when it was time to part, one of the last things Andrew said to me was "Take care of Ben". It didn't help that in the meeting just before we separate, we watched a video showing missionaries recieving their calls, going to the MTC with their families, and one younger brother just clinging to his missonary and sobbing. Andrew and I both just basically cried through the whole meeting.

But before that in the lobby, I got to put Andrew's Elder Robarts' name tag on him. I told him that it was even better than his Eagle. He looked great, a little teary, but great!

After the meeting, families say good bye and the missionaries exit on one side while the families exit on the other, not to see each other for two years. I joined the flow of crying families. I realized that we were walking along the end of the room we had just left. When we approached a cross hall, I looked down and saw Elder Robarts with his head high and his step confident, eagerly walking away to his new life. I hope he felt as good as he looked!

Back at the car, I found two bowls of "milkshakes" in place of our ice cream scoops and so drank a tribute to my missionary son.


  1. What a day! Such an important day in his life. :) We're excited for him, proud of him, and anxious to hear about all of his wonderful experiences. :)

  2. This is bringing back memories of the first day of MTC life. Everyone is so helpful and kind. It's kind of like being in the temple: kind smiles and no one lets you get lost. You did a good thing, and so did Elder Robarts.

    If you're still in the area and have time, I would absolutely love to meet you in person. I'm not far from I-15, if that helps. Let me know.

  3. It may be sad to see him off, but you should stand tall and proud for both you and for Elder Robarts (Used for respect for his status!).

    I have said it before, but your son will be in my thoughts and prayers while on his Mission!

    Did you and Eva ever get together?

  4. Oh, I was thinking ofyou this week, and I remember that MTC experience with our son. Bless your missionary, and bless you!

  5. What a touching experience. I am teary. You sent off a boy, and will get a man back. A man with a strong testimony, and with the strong start his mother made sure he had, he will go far.

    How proud you must be, of two young men with such a closeness. Good job, Mom.