Sunday, October 25, 2009

only one Saturday?!

It wasn't bad working on Friday ; ), but only having one 'Saturday' sure wasn't great.  Furlough Fridays stress the budget, but oh! the time is wonderful.  There just isn't enough time and energy for life outside of work!

I keep reminding myself that the 40 hour work week is a fairly modern blessing.  How my heart aches for all those who worked 10+ hour days and were lucky to get a half day off on weekends.  Worse, it is still that way for some even now.  Inhuman. 

I am blessed to have a job I like under circumstances that suit me so well. 

Saturday - took Benjamin to meet up with the other Scouts from our ward to go to the Capitol March.  Cub and Boy Scouts met up at Raley's Field in West Sacramento, then led by police cars and a marching band, marched along police-lined streets to the California State Capitol for speeches and ceremonies, back to Raley's Field for lunch and activities - all in celebration of BSA's 100th Anniversary in 2010.  

After leaving Ben, I did a quick shop at Raley's Food Store - mainly to get a couple of more things to put in Elder Robarts' Thanksgiving box (that I couldn't find at Winco).  As Canada's Thanksgiving is Oct 12, he will have a regular working day when we Americans are celebrating Thanksgiving.  I am sending him some  traditional Thanksgiving food - Hormel's Complete Turkey and Dressing with Gravy (the boys and I tested one just for fun - not like home, but pretty good), a little pack of instant mashed potatoes, small cans of green beans, corn and cranberry jelly, and instant cheese cake mix, some decorative napkins -  so he and his companion can have their own little Thanksgiving dinner.  I might add some little decorations and ? We'll see. I intend to mail it by Halloween.  Then I need to get going on his Christmas package.  That is supposed to get to the mission office by the end of November, too. 

I didn't do much housework - just a few dishes - before heading to Costco to get my tires rotated.  While waiting, I tested samples - contrary to what I have been told by someone I love,  Morning Moos does NOT taste like real milk - maybe like fat free milk which does not taste like real milk. I know, it IS real, dehydrated, fat free milk. And it tastes fine with cocoa!  I read "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" because I have been hearing about it alot lately.  It is aimed at the tween boy and I am not one.  It was ok.  I did some hunting (again) for something on someone's wish list, but without success. Their wish list mention is old, I fear, and Costco is always changing.  Also, I actually did a little shopping - bought real milk.  Milk is so good!

By the time my car was done and food put away, it was time to clean up and fancy up for the Ward Activity.  My go to Halloween costume now is 'Fancy Nancy's Grandmother'. fun (and fancy)  - my long black skirt with purple lace overskirt, 3 or 4 necklaces and a pink feathered boa (show your passion for life. fight breast cancer), a floppy hat with lots of flowers, and more make up than usual. - I am going to wear it again Friday at work (but not while biking - if biking.  Do I have the nerve to wear it on light rail if the weather is not bike friendly??)

Setting up for the activity was frustrating because it was out in the back parking lot and a slight breeze kept blowing the tablecloths off the tables until I started sticking them down with rolled masking tape.   Also, I find my heart is just not in it like it used to be when I was Activity Chair.  Holly, is a great chair and does a terrific job.  I don't have the time and energy to put in like I once did and she does.  I am glad to be in a supporting role now, but it just doesn't mean as much to me as it once did.  We ate good chili and corn bread, admired each other's costumes, visited with friends and family and handed out candy in our Trunk or Treat. One of the most popular activities of the year.

I don't like Halloween being such a big deal.  There are certainly other days more worthy of attention. I think it odd that we tell children to be wary of strangers and certainly not to take candy from strangers, and not to beg or eat too much candy, then make a whole holiday out of doing just the opposite.  But dressing up (when you have a cheap or better yet free costume idea)  and visiting is fun.

The ward activity and next week's work pot-luck and party are plenty of Halloween for me.   I don't plan to do much Oct 31.  We might decide to give out candy during the early little kid hours. (We saved some just in case, but I am sure we can find other uses for it.  Except not so much me, as my numbers have been bad lately - despite all that bike riding!! grr) 

Well, my one busy little Saturday is gone.   Next Friday we work, too, and have another 2 day weekend.  After that... we don't work on Friday until January!

No comments:

Post a Comment