Sunday, January 6, 2008

Up On The Roof

Heeding the storm warnings JAB secured everything in our yard pretty well. When the wind tore the tarp awning (whatever) over our bicycles, they got another tarp and covered them directly. Things look pretty good, if a bit windblown. Some mistletoe was torn out of a tree. Many oranges fell. The hummingbird feeder fell and broke. (I put a hole in the cap of a plastic water bottle and hung it up. We saw a hummingbird trying it today.)

Unfortunately, when the storm abated, we noticed a few shingles on the ground. During a break between storms Saturday, the guys went up on the roof to assess the damage. Not so good. One section (south side over the family room) lost about 20 or so shingles. I went to Home Depot and got shingles and roofing nails, but by the time I got them home, the rain had begun again. Unable to find another tarp, and unwilling to risk my sons, we left the roof and hoped for the best.

I learned that I am afraid to go up on the roof. I climbed up the ladder, surprised at how uneasy I was, but just did NOT want to get on the roof. I am too old, heavy and not so spry. I clearly remember years ago I had to go on the roof for something. I was ok until it was time to get down. I COULD NOT get from the roof to the ladder. I just froze with fear. David had to come help me. So, I was quite relieved when the boys said there was no need for me to get on the roof, they would handle it.

It is frightening to wonder how the house has faired in the rains since the shingles went. No signs of leakage inside at least. I am hoping we don't have an attic full of saturated insulation and wet wood.

Naturally, this morning, Sunday, was lovely and sunny. Not only is it the Sabbath, but we meet in the morning now. We wondered and worried whether - if the weather held - to work on the roof today or brave the night coming rains and work the next time the weather cleared. Our home teacher said that it is the tar paper under the shingles that really protect the house. The guys decided to go up after eating and check out the tar paper. No tar paper. Under our shingles, we have wood. From the rooftop, the guys called our home teacher and then Tom. After various consulting, they decided they need to patch what they can. They are racing the rain and the dark. It is nearly 4 now. The forecast said it would be raining by now.

I am so lucky to have these boys! They are good naturedly working away up there. What would I do without them?

~~

Our new home teacher (also YM Pres and good friend's father-in-law) kept trying to make a first appointment last month(?), but life was just too full and in too much disarray. Frustrated, he said to me at church, "You WOULD let me know if you need anything, wouldn't you?!"

"What do you know about plumbing?" I asked. Our kitchen faucet was not dripping, it was running as if it had not been turned off. (Cold, fortunately!) Joseph and I looked at our fix-it books and were feeling pretty nervous about attempting the repair. (One home fix-it book cautioned us not to try it on the weekend when plumbers are even more expensive.)

Within a day or so, I got a late evening phone call. "I just got home from work and had a bite to eat. Can I come look at your faucet now?" He came over with his magic toolbox, took apart the faucet, produced a part that actually fit! and was done in minutes. Then he sat down to visit with us for a minute. Somewhere along the line he revealed that he gets up - I forgot how early, but earlier than me and my alarm is set for 5:15 . It was around 9:30 then and I was seriously fading. He must have been exhausted. "What are you doing here? Go home!" He was so nice about coming over and acted like it really was a pleasure and not a sacrifice to help us.

He is a terrific guy.

~~

Which leads me to YM and Scouting. In Perkins Ward, Scouting is for Deacons. The older boys do many good things, including many things Scouts, especially older Scouts, might do. However, here again we encounter the fear that the older boys might not think Scouting is cool. Our loyal Scouts will stay active no matter what the program, so it doesn't matter that they enjoy Scouting and are willing to put up with the pesky younger boys so they can teach, lead and help the younger boys become better. Trouble is, I am not convinced that NOT doing Scouting brings in or retains the other guys. But that is the theory. The YM (and YW! but I am talking about my Scouts here) do many good things and fun things. They are very service oriented. They actually enjoy their frequent service projects. It is the spirit that counts. Still, I wish they could have the Scouting program as part of that spirit as I know it can be. This also makes it a little more of a challenge for Ben to work on his Eagle. I am going to check with the YM leaders about my fledglings and also about older boys and Scout camp.

~~
4:20pm The boys asked me to go climb the ladder and observer their labors. It is not much to ask. bye

No comments:

Post a Comment