Sunday, August 19, 2012

Now Count All the Ones

Every now and then another personality test comes along to help us discover our personality types, strengths, and weaknesses.   They can change your life.  Foster better understanding of self and others.  Help you discover the real you and your potential.

Maybe it's my personality type, but I don't much care for them.  I always think I will.  I eagerly snatch up the test and begin.  However, they are seldom as fun or easy as I think they will be.  I have an awful time answering them and I shudder thinking about how some of my kith and kin might answer them about me. Eventually- usually - we get to the evaluation part.  And it turns out that I don't like me.  sigh.

I am not the only one.  I know people that either refuse to do the tests or keep their tests a deep secret.  Others who take them, share the results, and feel discouraged and depressed.  There are a few who take them and shine (and/or gloat), but this is not about them.

People who like these tests (and are vastly different personality types) say that we just are not understanding them.  That we need to read the whole book (or read it again).  They consider the test and book to be key in understanding people and in self-development. 


Andrew and I were talking about this. Both of us get discouraged and depressed by these things, but we keep going back for more - like somehow it will get better and suddenly we will have the key to really liking the personality we discover and to becoming happy, self-confident. productive, efficient, balanced, successful (in every important way) etc etc etc people.

But it doesn't work.

Andrew did achieve enlightenment.  He said, "I don't have to figure out who I am.  I need to figure out who I want to be and practice it!"  

We need to figure out what muscles  (qualities) we want and exercise them.

Isn't that what this life is about? 

(Where have I heard this before?)

And we know Someone who is more than happy to help us.  If we will only ask with a sincere heart and then follow His guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment