Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"You have been designated as surplus"

I just came from a meeting at which I was informed that I am surplus.

Step 1 in the statewide lay-off process.

The newest 20% of the stateworkers got this letter. It has nothing to
do with the work we do or how well we do it. Just more recently
hired. People who have been with the state nearly 4 years that I know
of. I have 2 years. My cube mate less than a year. Not looking good
for us.

The letter says that "even when a budget is passed.... layoffs will be
required."

A lot of sad, angry and frightened people. And yes, I am one of them.

This is happening all over the state in almost all departments. Fun times.

Manual Lopez, our Deputy Director, met with us to try to soften the
blow of the bureaucratic letter which came from the Department of
Personnel Administration. He tried to give us hope that the budget
will be worked out before lay-offs will be implemented and that many
jobs will be found through attrition, redefinition and other juggling
acts. He expressed understanding and concern for our welfare, and the
welfare of the organization and parks we serve. He said he has had
sleepless night over this. He was very nice. We are still bummed, to
say the least. and looking at becoming bums.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! That sucks. Sorry, you don't like that word, but it does. :(

    I hope you get looked over, in this situation. When will they decide who stays/who goes? When does it go into affect?

    Good luck! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. Things are frightening everywhere..

    Prayers will be said on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete