Saturday, February 28, 2009

It doesn't get any easier

You would think I would be an old hand at chicks leaving the nest.

Out of 8 children, 5 have successfully (as far as I can tell!) flown so far. (No unsuccessful flights, 3 still in the coop here, for a few more weeks, anyway, then 2)

I have sent out two missionaries before. I don't remember the stress and anxiety I am feeling now.

Of course, when David and Miriam left, I was still very busy (almost preoccupied?) with younger children. And they went to milder climes where missionaries got dinner appointments.

It's not like Andrew is going to some backwards, uncivilized, undeveloped country. I admit to a vast amount of ignorance, but I have always considered Canada a sister country not very different from the USA. One of the best places in the world.

Except, being north, colder. That's one concern. It is really, really cold there. Right now it is -19C and feels like -28C in Winnipeg which is fairly south in his mission. -19C is less than -2 below here!! -28C is less than-18F!!

I have long maintained that life is not possible once you get down below freezing at 32 degrees F. I don't approve of temperatures below 40F. Most of my children are "freezing" well above that, Andrew included.

(Check out the Winnipeg weather link and the temperature conversion link in the margin of his blog The Armor of God)

There is so much I have not taught him or prepared him for. I hope he does not suffer too much for my failures! What can we do in the little time we have before he goes?

Currently, I am stressing about food. Something I should be able to help him get ready to handle. Again, I appeal to you for meal preparation/shopping suggestions. What are the basics he should have? Please share any recipes.

Only a few weekends before he leaves. And too much already scheduled! Weeknights are short, full, and I am tired and not too functional when I get home. So much to get ready, buy, learn, do!

(I would probably function better if I got more sleep, too.)

I do believe that Andrew was called of God by men who are in authority and who receive divine inspiration. I believe Nephi when he says "the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

Philippians 4: 13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mark 9: 24 And straightway the father mother of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment